Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Artificials - Fan or Not

What are your thoughts on fake baits? I can understand plastic corn over corn or the likes but foam/cork surely it can only be a visual thing.....does it really matter what we use?

i use corn to help balance bottom baits a little bit. i've mainly used foam as zig baits and done ok, but not done so well on them on main lake. it maybe down to the water clarity.

i some times use fake corn on top of a 16mm bait just to pick the bait up a little bit from the rest of the free bait ,it works for me as for the foam thing never had much luck with it lol

i caught my PB Common on plastic maggots fished among live ones as feed. they will always stay on the hook and are resistant to small fish. i had 6-7 runs that session on Sandhurst so i would say in there place Artificials are deadly.
[Image: GMSsmall.png]

(03-10-12, 12:39 PM)hagz Wrote: i caught my PB Common on plastic maggots fished among live ones as feed. they will always stay on the hook and are resistant to small fish. i had 6-7 runs that session on Sandhurst so i would say in there place Artificials are deadly.
Same for me, had a 36lb Common on two bits of plastic corn.

Without a doubt they definately have a place in an angler's armoury especially with the likes of softer baits such as maggots and corn for casting/durability purposes. I am just curious as to whether it's a visual stimuli or something else they find attractive. I know they use some sort of fish oil emulsions in the fabrication of a vast majority of plastics so who knows if there is an attraction property in that respect. With the likes of foam/cork it can only be a visual aspect that they're attracted to maybe replicating something midwater or on the surface.

i think it is a simple case of them picking it up to see what it is? same as white baits and flouro's i think that the flavourings do little to boost the attraction it is simply there inquisitive nature.
[Image: GMSsmall.png]

Fishing in France a couple of years ago - there was a plague of poisson chat, nicking the boilies in moments of the bait landing. Had to use real maize, but had to add fake in between real pieces to put the little b......s off.

When fishing maize over pigeon conditioner I always have a piece of fake pop up maize on top the real piece to get it looking nice and it balances perfectly caught loads of fish on this method. I think fake baits have their place for sure especially for floater fishing.